Monday, July 4, 2011

There is nothing for me but to love you...

What a wonderful weekend!

First off, two of my best friends, Anna and Jenny, came to visit me here in Birmingham. I had a wonderful time with them both, and I was so sad to see them go. It is rare that you can spend time with people just watching old school Sex and the City and really enjoy it.

After they left Sunday morning, Boy and I had the day to ourselves. The weather was gorgeous and we knew we must spend the day outside. We started out by the pool -- well Boy was in the pool, I was reading by the pool. Then Boy had the idea that we go to the Oak Mountain State Park and rent a paddle boat. The drive through the park was gorgeous. Being out on the water was gorgeous, as well. We then decided that instead of going out to dinner like we normally do, we should cook out at the house.

We went to the store with a budget of twenty dollars. We already had chicken breasts at the house to grill, so we needed side dishes. We settled on fresh green beans, sliced mushrooms, and corn on the cob. Tragedy struck when we arrived home --we realized that neither of us had a clue about working a gas grill. So we had to readjust our plans, and the chicken would now be broiled in the oven. So with Frank Sinatra radio on in the background, we got to work. Boy was in charge of the corn, and I took over the other dishes. I marinated the chicken and put it in the oven, and then I sauteed the green beans and mushrooms with marinades and seasonings. About 45 minutes later, we had a great meal put together. We had our dinner candle lit and with a glass of wine (or at least I did).

As we were eating, my absolute favorite (and generic) Frank Sinatra song started to play -- "The Way You Look Tonight." Much to my surprise, Boy asked me to dance in the kitchen with him. We looked ridiculous, and we laughed our way through it, but it was absolutely wonderful.

We cleaned the kitchen after dinner, and then had a quiet night in. And after our day in the sun, that is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I hope this post finds everyone having a wonderful fourth weekend! God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment